Today: 89 Unique Hits: 133,135
Main Forum
Page
of 2

The Big 1.13 Update Suggestion Thread

18 replies
Admins
Owner
It's time for Poly to update to 1.13, but there are some problems that currently stop us from making the jump. The biggest one being that our economy plugin HyperConomy, hasn't updated yet to 1.13. Since we need to decide as a server what we want to do moving forward I want to create a Google Form to poll what you, the players, would like most.

I want to really explore the options we have as a server. For this I need your help. I've already had some great suggestions from other players, but I would like more. Your suggestions will become part of the big poll that we will have in about a week.

Here is a list of a few example topics that you could make suggestions for; also feel free to come with your own.

- Economy reset
- New survival world
- Bigger focus on towns
- mcMMO reset
- Wait for Hyperconomy 1.13 update
- Permanent nether
- Lockette versus LWC
- New ranks or group of ranks (for example mcMMO based)
- Rework donation perks (for example make fly less overpowered)
- More events, big and small
- New voting rewards
- Reworking rules
- New plugins

The actual polling and answering of these topics will happen next week with a Google Form, so that's not the purpose of this thread. The main purpose is to get more questions we can ask and more options we can put in the Google Form.

This way everybody can help shape the future of PolygonCraft. Let's hear those suggestions!
TUr0FOi.png
Posted Oct 15, 18 · OP
Donator
Top Voter
A 1.13 update will probably attract more players!

Here are my thoughts/questions:

Economy reset

Is there an alternative to Hyperconomy?

New survival world

A new survival world would be cool if some builds/items can be transferred 

Bigger focus on towns
Towns require active players, which polygon does not have enough of at this point to make towns work maybe something for the future... once there are more people? and maybe with a towny plugin?

mcMMO reset
I don't think anyone cares enough about mcMMO skills to want it reset

Wait for Hyperconomy 1.13 update
Has there been any updates from the developer of the HyperConomy plugin regarding a 1.13 update? if so waiting a little bit might be better... if not... well we can't wait forever

Permanent nether
A permanent Nether seems like a great idea but I do think that there should still be a nether that gets reset every so often... This will add another world tho... which may not be ideal

Lockette versus LWC
I have no idea what LWC is so I wont say anything about this

New ranks or group of ranks (for example mcMMO based)
I believe there are enough ranks as is

Rework donation perks (for example make fly less overpowered)
I personally don't see a need for this maybe someone who hasn't donated will think differently... also how exactly can you make flying less overpowered?

More events, big and small
More events are always good!

New voting rewards
I think the poll on this post has already spoken
https://www.polygoncraft.net/forum/m/26435942/viewthread/32200240-new-vote-reward/post/136119545#p136119545

Reworking rules
Yes Section 5 Hacking - Clause 1 -

"Discussion of hacked clients is not allowed - we do not allow them, and therefore we do not discuss them."
Welp imma get banned I guess

New plugins
I don't have any suggestions for new plugins but... if it works properly then it's good I guess

-KNIGHT
Just doing some knight stuff....
Posted Oct 15, 18
Donator
How would the Survival tags change (or would they change) if the economy got reset?
I'd also like to see certain types of spawners be in a protected area where players could kill mobs, but not break blocks. For example, I'd like to see an area to be able to go to where you could choose what mob to attack, such as Blazes, Wither skeletons, etc. Perhaps /warp mobSpawn could be a thing?

Perhaps there could also be challenge survival warps, such as SkyBlock or 1-Chunk Survival?
Posted Oct 15, 18
Donator
- Economy reset
In my opinion, this would be a perfect idea. Not only would it allow us to have a fresher start, but we would also start from zero and rebuild the economy by doing so.

- New survival world
Again, we would start from scratch and work up from the start. It also allows us to find new land and build things that we probably never did before. That, and I want to see new towns. Speaking of which...

- Bigger focus on towns
On the subject of towns, I'd say that population is a bit of a problem. Since the server is usually small, we could probably find a way to draw in new players onto the server. For example, maybe villagers could play a bigger part in towns besides being slaves merchants, or we could introduce a sort of taxing system where towns could eventually become bankrupt if they get too low in debt. Or, going back to villagers, we could also introduce mcMMO to them somehow.

- mcMMO reset
Basically like the economy reset idea, except mcMMO gets reset and everyone starts at Level 0. Again, I agree with this idea.

waitingsml_1539633020.jpg
waitingsml2_1539633031.jpg

- Permanent nether
I'm assuming this means a Nether in the survival world, but not as a separate world? If that's the case, then sure. Go for it.

- Lockette versus LWC
I don't care either way. Lockette works pretty well but I have no idea what the hell LWC is.

mcMMO ranks would be great. It would make mcMMO feel more interesting as a whole: for example, Level 100 in the Woodcutting skill could grant a [Barbarian] or [Lumberjack] rank. Hell, add classes if that sounds cool.

I really don't touch donation perks as much, but I guess making Fly less overpowered would be neat.

I'd have to make an entire thread on this one, but I have soooooooooo many damn ideas for this. (like a dungeon crawling event for example)

- New voting rewards
Sure.

- Reworking rules
Don't go over the top and fix the ones that are out of place and/or make no sense.

- New plugins
Health Bar (i think we got that tho) and MythicMobs, I guess. Otherwise, nothing much else.

I don't have much else to suggest other than the subjects provided. If I got something, I'll make another post sharing my idea.
https://soundcloud.com/drunkengenius
Posted Oct 15, 18
TrialMod
Staff
Donator
If the survival worlds do get reset, how about giving every player a shulkerbox to fill with items they would want to keep such as items and armour and then putting it in a hopper in shop then when flex makes the new main survival he moves the shulker boxes into this new world, this way people can still save their items but it is only the size of a small chest so it isn't like it could be abused that easily.
The downside is it would be hard to set up since obviously you wouldn't want people being able to take other peoples items so maybe something like the christmas event where there is a chest with a private sign of each person but that would take up space and take time for flex to set up.

With mcmmo I think it would be nice to reset since alot of the top people in mcmmo don't play anymore so a reset would be good to make it more fair for newer players.

I would definitely like to see a permanent nether world which would be good for a community wither, blaze and gold farm but apart from that I don't really see the benefit of a permanent nether since the majority of players would just use it for resources so I think there should be some sort of official town that could be like Cyfra with more hellish themed builds maybe?

As Knight said more importance needs to be given to towns since once the town is set up they quickly lose relevance since they serve no purpose, perhaps there could be a few official towns to begin with each in their own biome (maybe 4 in the corners of the map and one in 0, 0?)
The towns would give a different type of service, such as a merchant town for trading items which could be used to replace hyperconomy so instead of a shop that people warp to and use commands to buy items they go to physical stores, possibly player owned, that would sell items such as stone, nature blocks and clay that would have their own store (sort of like Hermitcraft) this would serve to show new players what the players can build but also just keep shopping interesting (instead of "warp shop, buy, go to storage, warp shop, sell etc) as well as give players new sources of income since trading could be done.
Another type of town could be a lumber town such as Timberland and an animal farm such as those in Moxie, this would give more relevance to the towns and hopefully encourage players to be more active in the towns, (think the Hungergames districts)

Again as Knight said I have already said my views on more voting rewards and people seemed to like it in general as long as changes were made to make it more fair / balanced.
V6QhDiz.jpg
Posted Oct 15, 18
TrialMod
Staff
Donator
To expand on the town thing.

Merchant (see above) but I should note there might be like embassies of the four other resource towns but the majority of the shops should be more luxury items such as the decorative heads from mobcoins and coloured items, Buildings would be a mix of all styles but could be more medieval themes in the style of a market place.

Lumber: town focused on collecting and selling wood, possible also sell items that can be made with wood such as boats and stuff, the buildings would be log cabin like with a very nature theme, possible located in a jungle or plains biome

Stone Mason: more quarry themed where stone would be found in Phey and then stored and sold in the town but perhaps labour could be sold such as "$1000 to mine out a 10x10 area down to bedrock", buildings would be more stone and look like miners homes, maybe in like a mountain or taiga biome

Cattle: mass animal farms for cows, sheep and pigs where meat would be sold as well as their leather, milk and wool, buildings would be more "western" and could be located in a desert or mesa biome.

Tech: redstone and technical themed, would sell redstone components but would mostly be services such as "$2000 for a seamless hidden redstone door" the buildings would be more futuristic and technical and could be in a plains or birch biome.

It could also be used for a sort of "clan" system where instead of individual hctop it would be the 5 towns and how much money each town had, inside the towns it would have the list of most wealthy players, this should help encourage players to try and beat the other towns but also try and be the best in their own towns, how easy this would be to implement I could only guess would be quite hard but I'm not sure.
The towns could still be run such as the current towns with a leader of each that could meet up with flex every so often to discuss their towns to make sure they are running properly and the leaders could be elected by the members of the town which would force the leaders to be good at their job or else they would be replaced and should also give other players a chance at being incharge.
V6QhDiz.jpg
Posted Oct 15, 18
Donator
And now for my unpopular opinions:

-Economy reset: For the most part, I see the current economy system as a challenge between players to see "Who has the most 'money'" and not actually something that contributes to my gameplay in any significant way. I would (probably, but not certainly) like to see the economy system either abolished or heavily revamped with less focus on a number and more focus on items. To me and how little I play survival, vanilla minecraft would be way more fun than simply going to the shop and purchasing everything I ever need. It's akin to having a God Mode. Couple that with perks like /fly and the challenge is all but removed from the game.

-New Survival World? Yes.

-More emphasis on towns? Yes.

-McMMO reset and ranks: McMMO is something that should stay. It has great benefits to those who invest time into it. Should it be reset? I think so, since it would do so along an entirely new Zeon-like world. Perhaps a new formula for generating the world would be nice. While Phey resets every so often, the terrain generally follows the same rules. Perhaps these generation rules can change to get really, really weird and creative worlds? Do we need special ranks for it? Not really. I think there are enough ranks right now.

-HyperEconomy update: We don't need to wait if we just uninstall.

-Permanent nether: Yes, and maybe a creative world one too since it's topography (or since it's underground, underography?) is so different from the overworld's.

-Lockette vs who? Lockette seems to be working relatively fine.

-New ranks: No.

-Rework donation perks: Doesn't really affect me. I'm not overly qualified to have too much input here. I don't really plan on donating monetarily since I don't have much and all I currently have spent are point from winning the Wasteland BuildOff. I've also only got the advanced chat package.

-More events: Aye aye, Cap'n! The Buildoffs seem to usually draw the most players for any amount of time. I hate to even think that Poly may be declining, but 3 people on average isn't a very good statistic. More events (such as egg hunts or other challenges) = more community interaction = more fun.

-Voting rewards: Call me a communist but I don't really vote. Perhaps that's part of the problem Poly had relatively low numbers recently. I don't feel I get much for voting, even though it's only intended to help the server.

-Reworking the rules: This should be done. I understand the need to cover the wide spectrum of unpredictable human behavior, but the current rules page is quite lengthy. Hamstar said it best (his response above).

-New plugins: I can't think of any significant addition off the top of my head. I like the Poly the way it is: A blend of ultra-modded (HyperEconomy, ranks, armorstand customization, etc.) and vanilla. If anything would be added, I can see minigames (like ToS) or plugins that would subtly enhance the vanilla aspects of the game without going over the top.

I know the point of this thread was to gather more questions, but I'm just following the precedent since I don't really have questions right now. If I think of them, I'll post them here.
iX3makF.png
Posted Oct 16, 18 · Last edited Oct 16, 18
Donator
-New ranks or group of ranks (for example mcMMO based)
Maybe you could make a donor of the month rank which gets donation perks while having the rank
I think that donation perks are somewhat pricey already. I think you would lose a lot of customers if you altered flying.
Absolutely. Events are my #1 favorite thing to do on this server. Minecraft can become redundant and even boring without such events. I really liked the turkey hunt we had last year.
- New voting rewards
I agree with wingping on this one. I think the server would benefit from better rewards for voting. as I mentioned, having a top voter rank could raise voting dramatically.
- Reworking rules
I really hope I don't make anyone mad by saying this stuff. I recently had a minor argument based off of, you bet, redstone causing lag. I understand that polygoncraft has poor processor performance, or so it would seem, since it handles redstone worse than some $3/month servers. however, there are some misconceptions as to what part of a redstone contraption causes lag. I wont go into too much details, but basically, redstone clocks are not dangerous unless there is around 50 or more on a weak server. redstone does not work if its not within 10 chunks of a player, and will therefore cause 0 lag until its loaded. Noteblocks, chests, and other tile entities that exist as a block do not affect cpu performance from simply existing. they will only lag the server if a bunch of them are accessed or triggered at a single moment.
on an off note, regarding armour stands, although they are entities, they are not nearly as intensive as something like a mob. they have no AI and only contain passive data.
-Getting a non-dedicated host.
As many of you know, flexo pays a LOT of money for the server to exist. He pays for a kind of hosting called "dedicated hosting". Imagine getting your own dedicated desktop and server grade internet. no other servers are run on the machine, and you do not share the hard drive with anyone else. this is a less frequently offered hosting service and it costs many times more to host than a non-dedicated server. For the longest time, I have been asking the staff to upgrade the server to a non-dedicated host. the solid state drives used in these servers are excessively huge, and moderated by the hosting companies. Flexo would not have to worry about his server data getting lost or not having any space left. if this happened even once to any minecraft server ever, you would have likely heard about it or could find articles on it. it is simply the service they provide, thats hosting a server. The processors used in the non-dedicated servers are outrageously faster, and everything is just a better deal. Not only would flexo save money and get a faster server, but he would save so much money, that he could buy expensive advertisements on websites, and in return get way more players. Flexo could buy a massively overkill, 8gb ram, xenon processor,unlimited solid state drive storage, ddos protected server for $48 per month, which would leave us with roughly $32 to spend on advertising. and with standard server components, such as regular hard drives and i7 processors, you can get the same 8gb of ram unlimited hard drive storage server for HALF the price, $24. I know a lot of you are already seeing how non-dedicated hosting could be a better choice. I figured I would bring this up again since we are doing a big update, and it would be an ideal time to switch hosting.

Let me know if any of you feel the same way about anything I've said.
Posted Oct 16, 18
Donator
- Economy reset
- New survival world

I think a complete reset would be great, a new overworld, a new start. This also means cancelling all the money from people who already have survival custom. I would like to take a few expensive items with me though, elytra and beacons and stuff maybe?

- Bigger focus on towns

Yes please :) Not sure how to achieve this.

- mcMMO reset

Sure!

No

- Permanent nether

Might be fun, maybe together with the new overworld, a permanent nether that we can get to with portals like normal?

- Lockette versus LWC

Don't mind

Nah

Sure

Yes

- New voting rewards

Sure

- Reworking rules

Yes. Some clarity in some areas

- New plugins

I don't know of any
Posted Oct 22, 18
Donator
bring back voting ranks lol